TECHNET Archives

May 2021

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2021 20:53:28 -0700
Joyce pointed out that if I'd read further down, I'd have seen Richard's
original request, which contained a pretty good description of the
operating environment. My apologies for accusing the esteemed brain trust
of ignoring the requirements!

No temperature range given, but buried, so no fast temperature cycling, and
probably below any frost line. Significant chance of saturation and the
polypropylene enclosure being breached. Gels provide extreme moisture
protection: The silicone oil in them naturally prevents water from forming
a continuous chain (causes beading/hydrophobic). These materials allow
moisture to pass through but because there is not  a continuous path, no
conductivity or corrosion. And they self-seal, so no cracks are possible
without extreme mechanical assistance.

Example:
https://www.newark.com/raytech/techno-gel-gum/potting-compound-bottle-1lt-blue/dp/80Y4901

Another classic is a weak silicone gel. Dow Corning 527 is a 2 part mix.
I've found that stuff used to protect electronics in under hood conditions.
But the weak gel is kind of gross stuff--sticks to everything. It does pot
very well--very low viscosity.

Wayne Thayer