TECHNET Archives

May 2021

From:
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2021 13:00:17 -0400
I guess chocolate coated coffee bean is not on the Navy supply list -
without it, I can't pass the exam at university.  super efficient
delivery of energy from small amount material (2 bags per term during
exam - usually 6 exam per term).
jk
On May 19, 2021, at 11:29 AM, Steve Gregory wrote:

> Yes Joyce, most pilots are very skilled and steady. But the
> engineers who
> design cockpits must also share the blame.
>
> As you probably know, I was a flight engineer in the Navy and flew
> on a P3
> Orion anti-submarine patrol aircraft, and sat between the pilot and
> copilot. I'm not an aircraft designer, but to me having a coffee
> cup holder
> on the aircraft control yoke is just asking for trouble:
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/iKM2jSGX14GmXep4A
>
> Our flights could be between 8-12-hours long, so you can imagine
> that the
> pilots will need some coffee at some point during the flight. We
> didn't
> have flight attendants, and usually if a pilot needed a cuppa joe I
> would
> yell back in the tube: "Hey! Someone get the pilot a cup of
> coffee!" We
> would always be extremely careful, in fact the pilot or copilot
> would slide
> their seat back, and I would pass the coffee so that the cup wouldn't
> travel over the instrument panel in front of me. Everyone knew that
> if you
> brought a cup of coffee up to someone in the flight station, always
> leave
> at least an inch at top to avoid any spills.
>
> Those were some fun times!
>
> Steve
>

> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 8:27 AM Yuan-chia Joyce Koo <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> you mean  the pilots do not have steady hands during their work
>> hours?
>> You broken my day dream for traveling plan  after my 2nd moderna shot
>> in Aug... i can understand  their unsteady hands using BlackBerry and
>> doing business in washroom,but behind "wheel" with many of us sitting
>> duck on the plane? that's too much.   (thx god I believe most of the
>> instruments are hermetically sealed if my memory serve me right).
>> jk
>>
>> On May 19, 2021, at 7:57 AM, Douglas Pauls wrote:
>>
>>> Probably not CC-830 since it does not have a fluid susceptibility
>>> test, but
>>> perhaps DO-160 or MIL-STD-810.
>>>
>>> Now I have to tell an "old guy story" as my co-ops call it.  One
>>> of my
>>> former co-op students, Charmaine Johnson, in her first week with
>>> me, was
>>> given a project to assess the impact of Mountain Dew, Coke, coffee
>>> and tea
>>> on a particular conformal coating (building off of Bev Christian's
>>> work).
>>> My reputation as a prankster had preceded me and she was waiting
>>> for the
>>> punchline.  It took some effort to convince her that it was an
>>> actual