TECHNET Archives

June 2020

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2020 16:04:06 -0600
I don't like either of the ASTM tape tests, either the checkerboard or the
X test.  Too much dependence on who does the test or how they do the test
for passing.  Also, I don't know about anyone else's products, but we don't
have small elves in the avionics bays scribing our coatings with razor
blades.  When I want to know if coating will adhere, I pop the coated unit
into one of Hillman's thermal cycle chambers which are constantly running
IPC-9701 (I think), which is -55 to +125C, 8-10C/min, 15 min dwells at
either extreme.  In my experience, if the coating adheres through 50 cycles
of that with no adhesion loss, it will last the life of the product in
service.  That thermal cycling is much more representative of what our
products see than the tape pull tests.

*Douglas Pauls *| Principal Materials and Process Engr | Advanced
Operations Engineering

*COLLINS AEROSPACE*

400 Collins Road NE, MS 108-101, Cedar Rapids, IA  52498  USA

*Tel:* +1 319 295 2109 | *Mobile: *+1 319 431 3773

[log in to unmask] for all Export Compliant Items