TECHNET Archives

June 2020

From:
"Nutting, Phil" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Nutting, Phil
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 2020 14:28:46 +0000
Bev,

Your reply has prompted me to do a wee bit of reading.  The article https://emsnow.com/time-retire-rose-testing-whether-cleanliness-test-process-control-tool/ supports my theory that ROSE is for 1970's designs and should be changed to support the fine pitch and high density of today's designs, but how and to what value is considered acceptable.  So for a lack of a better definition I use the 1.56 ėg of NaCl eq. / cm2 as a target in my documentation.

Now let me answer all your questions.

You say presumed problematic.  How solid is that presumption?  Any evidence?

Sometimes it is a knee jerk solution to which I do not always agree, suspecting it is other process related issues such as heat exposure during wave solder. Placing small caps and resistors on the same board with very large inductors, large can electrolytic capacitors and heavy trace width and thickness is less than ideal design practice (power converter boards for 10+ kW units) in my opinion.  And sometimes it is from manufacturer dissection and report of water ingress from Bourns, Avago, TI and others.

Why machine wash at all? Why not used a fully qualified no-clean and leave
it at that? Or are you building for space, medical or military? Or do the
optos require it?

We manufacture high voltage power supplies from 500 v to 180 kV for security inspection of airport baggage, commercial and medical lasers and semi-conductor manufacturing equipment.. Our sister division makes flash lamps running around 10 kV.  The low residue (no-clean) flux can create a tracking failure mode.  The data sheets for the optos demand halide free flux and the manufacturer states that the seal of the leads is different than your standard molded IC package thus potentially allowing ingress of flux or wash water.

For your CMs how are you setting the cleanliness standard?  ROSE (yuck),
modified ROSE (yuck again), SIR/ECM?, ion chromatography?

A bit of a chuckle here.  Our choice of CMs is often driven by cost not the Q word.  We had one CM that washed the finished boards in a tub of plain water.  We had to explain cleanliness to them.

Thanks, I hope these answers fill in the blanks for you.-----Original Message-----