TECHNET Archives

June 2020

From:
"Nutting, Phil" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Nutting, Phil
Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 2020 14:03:48 +0000
Hi All,

I hope you have all been able to avoid becoming ill.

We have found some components (presumed) to be problematic when machine washed.  Avago optos, TI PTH logic (yes, we still do thru-hole), film capacitors, trim pots and some other components are usually the offending parts.  These components are then designated to be hand installed, soldered and washed after the boards are machine installed, solder and washed.

I fear the '70s are coming back.

About 80% of our PTH boards and 100% of our SMT boards are built by CMs.  We do not specify solder, flux or cleaning systems.  We do however specify lead-free and a cleanliness standard.  In-house PTH boards are washed in a closed loop batch DI washer.

I'm not a fan of switching to hand solder and wash for the simple reasons of hand soldering is less consistent and hand cleaning may just spread residue to a wider area.

I know I'm possibly opening a can of worms for process control, water pressure, wash chemicals, choice of flux/paste.  Is this a common manufacturing solution?  To me this is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Phil Nutting  |  HVP Senior Development Engineer   |  Excelitas Technologies Corp

Lab: +1 978.224.4332   |  Office: +1 978.224.4152
35 Congress St, Salem, MA  01970 USA
www.excelitas.com<http://www.excelitas.com/>

[Excelitas R_emailsig]

This email message and any attachments are confidential and proprietary to Excelitas Technologies Corp. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please inform the sender by replying to this email or sending a message to the sender and destroy the message and any attachments. Thank you.