TECHNET Archives

February 2020

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2020 16:48:36 -0500
Jeffrey,
Certainly Nortel in the 1990s and BlackBerry (2001-2015) saw no need to
clean no-cleans.

Nortel:
Products had to last in the field for up to 25 years, with no cross talk.
Every stinking chemical that came in contact with a printed circuit pack was
tested by halide ion spot test, copper mirror, SIR and electrochemical
migration.  The latter two tests were to Bellcore spec, NOT just E8 ohms.
Non-liquid chemicals were applied to SIR/ECM boards with a  50:50
IPA:toluene mix as many tested using just IPA would pass.  Failure rate of
materials during chemical qualification was high.
Most components were PTH or leaded.  BGAs were 1 mm pitch or more, so
stand-off was excellent and fluxes got properly "cooked".  Excellent process
controlled helped.
Almost never conformal coating.

BlackBerry:
Products life was 2 years.
Every stinking chemical that came in contact with a printed circuit pack was
tested by halide ion spot test, copper mirror, SIR and electrochemical
migration.  SIR testing to E8 ohms was good enough.  Failure rate of
materials during chemical qualification was about 30%. Used Nortel's
IPA/toluene mix.
Component mix was one PTH (a connector); the rest SOICs, etc.; chips down to
0402s, BGAs to 0.4 mm pitch and there were QFNs.
Excellent process control helped.
Never conformal coating.

Regards,
Bev