TECHNET Archives

January 2020

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2020 19:36:39 +0000
From:
"Decker, Scott Collins" <[log in to unmask]>
Victor,
   OK, I'll take a stab at it since all you go so far is ZZZZZZZZZZ's :-/  Since I didn't find anything in the documentation I had access to that would cover this, my guess is what the master drawing states and if that isn't covered on the drawing, the vendor should have data for this issue. It sounds like the amount depends on the squeeze out of the resin in the rigid flex interface area. The fact that it's not even may be due to the copper in the area which may make it unpredictable to some degree. It's interesting that there was no simi-rigid strain relief at the interface since that squeeze out creates that knife edge issue and can cut the cover layer, etc. I know this isn't the best answer and may not in fact BE an answer, but it is a slightly educated guess at best and not ZZZZ's. :-)
   On a similar note, a few years ago I had a rigid-flex design that the manufacture had routinely put the strain relief on the edge even though I didn't have it called out on the drawing. I figured it was standard practice. WRONG! We had sent the design to another vendor and when we got them back they didn't have the interface area covered. When I questioned them on it they just said, "it wasn't on the drawing so we didn't do it". Note to self, put it on the drawing if you want it there no matter how nice one vendor is, there is always another that doesn't see it that way... Oh and speaking of seeing it, there was another process to get pictures posted to here but I don't recall who was doing it, perhaps they will chime in on that now also?

Scott Decker | Senior Engineer, PCB Design Services CID+ | Electronic Systems Center
COLLINS AEROSPACE
3445 S. 5th Street, Suite 170, Phoenix, AZ 85040 U.S.A.
Tel: 602 308 5957  FAX: 602 243 2347
[log in to unmask]  www.collinsaerospace.com [collinsaerospace.com]
KE7MWT
CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING: This message may contain proprietary and/or privileged information of
Collins Aerospace Systems and its affiliated companies. If you are not the intended recipient please 1) do not disclose, copy,
distribute or use this message or its contents, 2) advise the sender by return e-mail, and 3) delete all copies (including all
attachments) from your computer. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.