TECHNET Archives

March 2019

From:
"Stadem, Richard D" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stadem, Richard D
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2019 22:08:46 +0000
Why not simply use a very thin veneer of a good tacky flux on the pads, with no solder paste? First you apply the flux to that part, then print solder paste on the rest of the boards, place all the parts including the ubga, and reflow. Remove the apertures in the stencil for that part.
You can try this by taping off the apertures on the stencil for the ubga and do it on one or two CCAs.
The tacky flux will hold the ubga in place quite well, but it does take careful handling. Something like Alpha WS1208 or similar. Just use the solder balls on the ubga to solder it in place. Additional solder is not needed. If that works buy a new stencil minus the ubga apertures.