TECHNET Archives

December 2018

From:
Frank Kimmey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Frank Kimmey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2018 01:59:30 +0000
Raye,
Incomplete fill could easily cause chemistry entrapment.
This can be quite explosive (very small rapid expansions) during assembly.
Solid cause for reject.
Filling vias can improve overall reliability and allow via in pad if filled, planerized and cap plated, so if you can afford the added cost it can be worthwhile.
As always "it depends" (oops, owe Doug another Mountain Dew) on your end product requirements.
You should review with your design team and determine if filling is an actual requirement, then you can get a good plan for going forward.
All to often today, someone heard it was a good idea and we end up with it in our design requirements even if it is overkill.
Good luck,
FNK

Frank N Kimmey CID+
916-833-9877