TECHNET Archives

December 2018

From:
HEAD James <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, HEAD James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2018 07:27:05 +0000
On a similar vein, being a member of the IET I have an IET e-mail alias. The IET announced a little while ago that they are removing this service because of the stricter DMARC being implemented. Their FAQ page [ https://bit.ly/2L03Gz1 ] says the following, which may be helpful for looking into this issue:

Why are you closing the email alias service?

We started providing this service back in the mid-1990s at a time when most people only had email addresses tied to their work or phone provider and personal email addresses were limited. Spam and phishing has increased over the years to the extent that now nearly 90% of email traffic is spam. Internet domain owners (such as Gmail, Yahoo etc.) and the domains sending emails have implemented stricter checks to detect fraudsters and block spam and phishing emails from entering inboxes.

Because of these stricter checks, emails sent via forwarding services such as our email alias fail the spam checks, as the checks see the IET as the sender of the email rather than the original sender, resulting in messages being marked as suspicious and blocked from the destination inbox. Unfortunately as we are only the email forwarder we have no influence over the new spam rules set by the email senders, so we have taken the difficult decision to close this service at the end of September 2019. Although the email alias service has been a valuable benefit of membership, we don’t want to offer you an unreliable service so hope you understand our reasons for doing so.

What is DMARC and why is it important?

‘Domain-based message authentication, reporting and conformance’ (DMARC) is a method used to authenticate legitimate emails and detect and prevent email spoofing. When an email is sent by our email alias, it looks like the IET is sending it from its server as if it was the original sender of the email so it is almost always failed by the SPF authentication check. This is because the forward message is sent from a new IP address not included in the original senders permitted list of IP addresses in the SPF record. DMARC is important because cyber criminals target individuals, small businesses and large organisations costing organisations and individuals billions of pounds globally each year. 70% of all email fraud is sent from a domain name which doesn’t match the one in the email header, which is why emails from forwarding service like ours often get rejected.

How will I know if my emails have been rejected?

It’s very difficult to know if your emails have been rejected unless you are expecting an email and you do not receive it. If an email has been rejected there is no way to recover it. Your only option would be to speak to the original sender and request for your emails to be sent to an alternative email address.

Want to know more about DMARC?

Visit http://www.dmarc.org  or http://www.globalcyberalliance.org  (GCA)

Regards,

James