TECHNET Archives

December 2018

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2018 17:00:53 -0500
Ben,

That's a term I haven't heard in a long time!

Wire wrapped terminations were developed by AT&T many many years ago.  Gardner Denver made the wire wrap tool I have.  Computer backplanes (e.g. Digital Equipment Co).  The wire (30ga is what I typically used) was silver plated.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_wrap

When I worked at Comsat Laboratories in Clarksville, MD I built very high frequency (500MHz?) circuits for satellite communications with MECL ICs (using twisted pairs of wires with 50 ohm terminations were developed by Motorola for Comsat.  The Tek oscilloscope I used for troubleshooting had a sampling plug-in as standard oscilloscopes at that time (1970s)did not have the bandwidth.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emitter-coupled_logic

Beginning in the early 1960s, ECL circuits were implemented on monolithic integrated circuits and consisted of a differential-amplifier input stage to perform logic and followed by an emitter-follower stage to drive outputs and shift the output voltages so they will be compatible with the inputs. The emitter-follower output stages could also be used to perform wired-or logic.

Motorola introduced their first digital monolithic integrated circuit line, MECL I, in 1962.[18] Motorola developed several improved series, with MECL II in 1966, MECL III in 1968 with 1-nanosecond gate propagation time and 300 MHz flip-flop toggle rates, and the 10,000 series (with lower power consumption and controlled edge speeds) in 1971.[19] The MECL 10H family was introduced in 1981.[20] Fairchild introduced the F100K family.[when?]

Here's pictures of some of the Gardner-Denver wire wrap tools

https://www.ebay.com/p/Gardner-denver-Model-14XA2-Electric-Wire-Wrap-Tool/1971302306

I would guess AT&T Bell Labs would have the documentation on testing as I think that's where the technology was developed.

Bob Landman
President
Life Senior Member, IEEE
H&L Instruments, LLC