TECHNET Archives

November 2018

From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2018 12:52:46 -0500
if my memory serve me right, the design authority is the program
office who signed off the whole design package (that including SOW,
contractual agreement, etc.etc.).  Program Mgr that oversee the whole
design/reliability/compliances/legal issues (usually a company/or
group of companies).  I remember many moons ago, our eng team got an
request to change part to save money from one of the partners, the
request were sent to program office and forward to engineering dept
for assessment (temperature range issues)... it was hard fought until
the requester realize it need put up full qual cost for the unit
(since the change was not "equivalent or better" and key components/
material change, including PWB, etc. those were  consider as major
change...  besides, the new temp range  proposed "eat" into the
design margin... It was put into the rest once for all - at least
once in my all work life in that company... many long distance conf
call... the old days, internet was not that powerful).  Prog Mgr
usually very careful  about changes, since it require his signature
and his head  was on line)... IMHO.  Good luck and have a lots of
mountain dew before you start "authority" process - a major
challenges to keep good relationship with chaps on the  other end...
jk