TECHNET Archives

November 2018

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2018 09:14:46 -0800
Hi Steve-

I've moved to the Pacific Northwest, specifically the Hood River area where
apples and pears are king. You can get locally grown pears for a pittance
here. The easiest option for home storage of this delicious bounty is
dessication. Right now I'm drying 8 pears every 12 hours in a low
temperature dehydrator. Working my way through 120 pounds (wet) and that
probably won't last me until next year's pear season! The pears will take
maximum heat, but I added a suitable lamp dimmer control onto this thing so
if I want to dry spices I can set it to lower temperatures.

I bought the dehydrator at GoodWill for $8, and the dimmer was another $6.

I'm sure I can rent you some space in this thing to dry out your reels.
I'll put a few stickers on it so it looks more like honest lab equipment,
and clean out the random pear "guts", but that'll cost you extra.

Wayne Thayer