TECHNET Archives

November 2018

From:
"Stadem, Richard D" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stadem, Richard D
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2018 13:29:36 +0000
God Morgen members of the Technet Forum! I am passing on a request from Ricardo Moncaglieri below. Apparently either he is having trouble addressing Technet, or else I am having trouble seeing it. So he emailed me directly.

After a couple of emails, I believe what he is looking for (I think) is information as to which standard describes the level of staking/bonding/encapsulation that is required for different work, by that he means different levels of final working environments. So for example, which types of components require staking, how much, how it is to be applied, etc, for Class 1, Class 2, Class 3, etc. While the J-STD-001 does describe some applications, such as for sleeved and unsleeved axial components, etc, my experience has always been working with particular Weapon Specifications for a given program. What Ricardo is looking for is something that defines, in general, what the staking/bonding requirements are for different levels of harshness or reliability requirements. So if I was a design engineer writing a Weapon Specification, what document would I look at for general bonding/staking guidelines for Class 3 applications? If I was a industrial control designer, what document do I refer to for general guidelines for Class 2 applications? And if I was designing the new Apple SoundByte, where would I find typical guidelines for bonding and or encapsulation for Class 1 commercial devices? Is there a standard out there that defines this information?