TECHNET Archives

October 2018

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2018 08:37:12 -0500
My esteemed colleague, with whom I shall soon be trapped in a minivan with,
is referring to another of the half fractional elements – Tzarium (Tz
51.5).  It is normally found in a rare ore called Peasantite and requires a
fair amount of refining to reach the elevated pure condition.  Tz, when
buffed, gives a lustrous shine and so has a usage in ornamental platings.
However, if not properly passivated or if too much Peasantite is present,
the Tzarium is subject to an odd corrosive mechanism called Bolshevik
Corrosion (ASM Handbook Vol 27, chapter 4), completely destroying the
Tzarium.  As Dave indicates Tzarium Dioxide (Tz2O2) is excellent for end
termination of thick film resistors, but only to a point (see below).  Tz
was first isolated at Kazan State University by Dr. Nikolay Tolstoy,
brother of famed writer Leo Tolstoy.  Sadly, Dr. Tolstoy came to an
untimely end.  In the early work with the resistive properties of Tzarium
Dioxide, everything was very promising while at DC conditions, but Tzarium
Dioxide does have an odd oscillatory nature with alternating current,
creating a positive feedback loop with increasing amplitude when the
concentration exceeds 25 weight percent.  It is said that the resulting
crater when the Tz2O2 finally let go was over 500 meters in diameter.  It
is also rumored that the experiment was sabotaged by Vladimir Lenin (yes,
THAT Lenin).

So Dave, what do I win this week?

Doug Pauls
Principal Materials and Process Engineer
Rockwell Collins