TECHNET Archives

September 2018

From:
Robert Kondner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2018 14:15:06 -0400
Victor,

 I have been watching this subject for a long time. I have been looking at
how reels are managed in house from the perspective of an engineer. A big
item is marking and how to quickly retrieve components and get them quickly
back in the correct location.

I identified 6 major classes of storage:

	Reels			- Production
	Engineering Stock	-Small loose components
	Cut Tape		-Cut strips to maybe 1000 parts
	Shelves			-Production and Large Items
	Dry Box			-Items in a dry storage system.
	Tubes			-Production and Engineering

 You might look at what MyData (opps Micronics now) does for their silos and
I have seen other folks with silo type environments.

Getting labels onto the edge of a reel is very difficult. I rolled some
small plastic snap together "Cut Tape Carriers" but those only work for
quantities of about 10K or less. These give me a chance to place color coded
labels on the edge of the container along with a bar code. (Take a look at
www.partsync.com for info) You can do the same for normal reels but they you
have a container that gets isolated from its part.

If you come up with any good ideas and need help implementing something let
me know.

Bob K.