TECHNET Archives

September 2018

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2018 16:21:14 -0500
Hi team - the "incompatibility" of Pd and SnPb solder is an old wives tale.
There was one published paper that concluded there was a problem but a
dozen papers since that one was published showing no issues. Rockwell
Collins has been using ENEPIG with SnPb for over 10 years with no issues.
Just like gold,  palladium can form a brittle IMC phase (PdSn4) in the
solder joint microstructure that can degrade its integrity but the same
reaction can happen with SAC solder as well. Just need to do a good job of
creating an adequate solder reflow profile to avoid the IMC phase.

Dave