TECHNET Archives

September 2018

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2018 12:04:05 -0500
Hi Jack - I had the opportunity of talking about drill head electronics
when I was in Australia teaching an instruction course on QFN technologies
and assembly. A  product designer was literally looking to have his entire
assembly in a QFN package (which was why he was attending the course). His
electronics were located in the drill head itself and he was measuring the
ore body for various element content (gold, silver, tin, etc.) as the drill
was boring thru the ore body (think of a XRF or SEM running in the drill
head in real time). And you'll get a kick out of this - his biggest issue
was that physics was getting in his way as his electronics were getting so
small, the physics rules of the analysis technologies (i.e. electron path,
sample densities, focal length) wouldn't work. It was a very educational
and informative discussion for me.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins