TECHNET Archives

September 2018

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2018 11:44:50 -0400
Speaking of the earth, there's an abandoned lead mine that hosts visitors (in boats) and scuba divers.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/missouri/bonne-terre-mine-mo/

Here's an article on the safety of lead weights

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/lead-soft-wieghts-can-be-harmful-to-your-health.137602/

Is lead in landfills a health hazard?

But is the lead that is actually in landfills a health threat? “It has never been shown that lead is actually leaching out of landfills,” says Fern Abrams, director of environmental policy at IPC–Association Connecting Electronics Industries, an industry group based in Northbrook, Illinois. And although lead is known to be present in landfills, some of it may come from other constituents. “Electronics in general are one percent of the waste that goes into a landfill,” says Jan Whitworth, a policy analyst with the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality. So if lead were to be found in leachate, it would be very hard to say for sure whether it had come from electronics.

Even so, the European Union has banned lead solder in certain electronic devices beginning in 2006, due to landfill concerns. California already bans disposal of CRTs and televisions in household waste landfills. Oladele Ogunseitan, an associate professor of social ecology at the University of California, Irvine, who is evaluating the phaseout of lead solder, thinks it makes sense to allow manufacturers to use hazardous materials when alternatives are not available, but to require recycling. Today, many computer manufacturers will recycle discarded computers, but often will charge a fee.