TECHNET Archives

September 2018

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2018 11:20:35 -0600
Hi Richard,

Did some work for Schlumberger back when I was in Tulsa. We had a dual pot
Technical devices wave machine with one of the pots filled with HMP solder.
I didn't know how the boards were able to withstand going across a wave of
300 C. liquidus solder but they did. I got to see one of the tools and how
these boards are mounted in the tools, they're all potted with a 1-inch
thick layer of potting material around the assembly inside a cavity
machined into the tool. Like you said, you don't even want to think about
failure. With all the horizontal drilling that they do nowadays there can
be thousands and thousands of feet of pipe in the well that will need to be
pulled to get to the tool at the end of the pipe if you need to fix
something.

Steve

--
Steve Gregory