TECHNET Archives

August 2018

From:
Carl Van Wormer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Carl Van Wormer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2018 18:46:14 +0000
The scariest part of this problem (caps cracked from depaneling forces) is that the problem may not be evident for a while.  A production run of 100 boards passed all our outgoing tests, even though the 12V power input filter (ferrite bead and ceramic cap, both 0603) were near the board edge.  The cap orientation was perpendicular to the board edge, with one end spaced 0.10" from the edge.  We had 6 units come back as field failures within the first 3 months of shipping.  The ferrite bead burned the board (and damaged the pads) after the cap shorted to ground in the customer's environment.

We did a quick re-design of the board, rotating the cap and moving it to about 0.23" from the board edge.  After several hundred of the "fixed" units were shipped, we've seen no failures of the newer layout boards.

Later,

Carl

Carl B. Van Wormer, P.E., AE7GD

Senior Hardware Engineer