TECHNET Archives

August 2018

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2018 09:26:47 -0500
Hi Alasdair - so I would divide your question into two parts:

(1) Is the FOS appropriate for pcb surface finishes? The IPC-45XX
specifications contain the industry consensus/approved testing protocols so
if the FOS isn't listed in the specification, then its not a standard test
for that surface finish;

(2) Is the FOS appropriate for pcb surface finishes? To steal a phrase from
Doug "it depends"! Why are we proposing the use of FOS as a conditioning
test? Are we trying to understand how robust a specific plating process is
or in impact of changing a process step? Are we trying to understand how a
heavy sulfur environment exposure will impact a specific surface finish?
Need to understand the objective of using the test. Would I use the FOS as
an acceptance test? Most likely not as its a very harsh test and I should
already have a relationship with my board fabricator on what the
expectations of the surface finish should be as I relate it to my product
use environment.

Any conditioning test can be used on surface finishes, the critical element
is why are we proposing the use of a specific conditioning test. The FOS
test is useful if used in an appropriate manner but the FOS test is also a
harsh test with a significant acceleration aspect.

Dave

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 8:34 AM, FTL Quality <[log in to unmask]