TECHNET Archives

July 2018

From:
Carl Van Wormer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Carl Van Wormer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2018 16:31:42 +0000
Yes, the parts will age and change.  Any of the "high-k" dielectric materials (required for physically small caps for electrically large values) have surprisingly wide ranges of variations in value.  The dielectric name (X7R, Z5U, etc.) only specifies temperature related performance.  The capacitance - vs. - applied voltage is often much worse, with parts from different vendors often having significant performance differences for the "same" part.  For a good scare, check out the article at: https://www.edn.com/design/analog/4402049/Temperature-and-voltage-variation-of-ceramic-capacitors--or-why-your-4-7--F-capacitor-becomes-a-0-33--F-capacitor .

Later,

Carl

Carl B. Van Wormer, P.E., AE7GD

Senior Hardware Engineer