TECHNET Archives

July 2018

From:
"Stadem, Richard D" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stadem, Richard D
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2018 16:04:24 +0000
It is NOT an error.

The component manufacturers simply had an original classification for handling based on a leaded process (MSL-1), where the parts were reflow soldered and reworked using Sn63 solder profiles prior to RoHS.

Because there were so many parts that were qualified per IPC-020 as MSL-1 out in the market when RoHS was incorporated, the component manufacturers and distributors had no way of going back to re-mark the original part packaging to MSL-3 or higher if unleaded solder and its corresponding hotter profiles were used. So they simply updated their part prints from MSL-1 to MSL-1/MSL-3, with the understanding that the user would handle the parts as a level 3 if they were going to go through the hotter lead-free processing.

In other words, the parts would be fine if leaded (max reflow temp around 220C) was used, but special precautions to keep the parts dry (MSL-3) were required at the hotter profiles.

Also, some component manufacturers upgraded their components so they could withstand the hotter processing temperatures, but they did not want to pass on those Level 3 requirements to users who intended to process using leaded temperatures, so they called them MSL-1/MSL-3, thus allowing no special handling for those who were going to solder with a leaded process.

Odin