TECHNET Archives

July 2018

From:
Daragh OLoughlin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Daragh OLoughlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2018 11:05:52 +0000
Hi All,

I'm looking for advice from anyone with experience printing to thin Flex-Rigid Polyimide-based PCB's. I'm interested in suggestions/tips for carrier retention mechanisms/designs and/or Screen Print tooling support of PCB's of 0.4 mm +/-0.1 thickness.

As far as carrier design concepts, with a 0.4mm thin board, using low height tooling pins to date do not provide adequate retention/support. We have also tried various spring systems in the carrier to provide tension through the tooling pins to the board in X/Y directions to assist the retention, but to date no concept was worked well. Additionally, our carrier supplier recommended a high friction coating applied to carriers, however this coating degrades with use and has a limited life, and it's not a preferred option. I have personally visited a large manufacturing site in China, and saw them use magnets inserted into holes bored in the underside of the carrier, epoxy sealed in place, and use a thin metal foil overlay (with a large window with ~5mm clamping area on each side of the panel) to provide X, Y and Z retention.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a robust carrier design suitable? Or perhaps can recommend a supplier to contact?

Product Info:
Flex-Rigid Polyimide-based PCB is panelised – width 69mm, length 128 mm
Finished PCB thickness: 0.4 mm +/-0.1 mm
There are two fine pitch BGA components located 3mm from the panel edges (both clamping sides)
Pitch: 0.4 mm and 0.35 mm
Bump diameter: nominal 0.130 mm
Pad Diameter: 0.2 mm

Manufacturing equipment
DEK Horizon 03iX Screen printer
DEK Horizon 02i Screen Printer

Stencil Info:
0.0762mm (~0.003”) Laser Cut Electro-polished Stencil

Daragh OLoughlin
Lead NPI Engineer

Cochlear Limited
12 Helen Street
Newstead QLD 4006
AUSTRALIA

Phone: +61736346775
Email: [log in to unmask]
www.cochlear.com

"The information contained in this e-mail message may be confidential information, and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us by return email and delete the original message."