TECHNET Archives

June 2018

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2018 08:53:26 -0600
Hi Nigel,

One example of a dual footprint experience I'll share. It was when I was
working out in California for a company that made memory modules. At that
time they were wanting to make 1206/0805 dual use footprints for the
de-coupling caps. We found that they kind of worked, but wasn't without
issues. We saw an increased incidence of tombstoning with the 0805 caps and
a greater incidence of solder beads which were a big problem because we
were trying to go no-clean at the time.

I had heard that it's the cell phone industry that is responsible for
driving the size of the passive components down, and once a component
manufacturer tools their line up to produce 0201 components that's pretty
much it for months and months. They're not tearing the line down to make
bigger chips which is a smaller percentage of the revenue.

Steve

--
Steve Gregory
Kimco Design and Manufacturing