TECHNET Archives

June 2018

From:
Carl Van Wormer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Carl Van Wormer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2018 13:09:33 +0000
For those Technetters with interest in this thread, here are pieces of a side-discussion I had with Victor (with his permission):

-------------- beginning of discussion -------------------

Carl:

Can you be more specific?  There are a variety of short circuit detection and location methods, including a car battery and jumper cables. (great-big-grin here . . .)

I spend a lot of time locating shorts, but your question is too open-ended for a helpful comment.

Victor:

   Thank you very much for responding to my above stated inquiry.

   Back in the mid eighty I used a Flir Thermal  heat camera to assist with isolating shorts on a Printed Circuit Board assembly, PCBA.   Camera technology was not as sensitive as it is today.   The EMMI instrument was just coming around but too expensive.  Anyway....  I was given a Flir Thermacam IR SC2000 system from  a sister group.   Therefore, I want to brush up my knowledge on this new technology.   Some suspected shorts have been on the surface of the PWBA.   Perhaps flux residue activated.   Others have been on internal layers.   I will have to find a source for a precision power supply and current meter setup.   In the old days our sample was placed in a make shift refrigerator to keep the temperature low when power was applied to the PCBA and for camera sensitivity.

   I worked in a panel factory many years ago and used a Tone Ohm Meter for short isolation and used the board net data to identify an external/internal layer.   Power and ground shorts were more difficult to isolate.   I conduct cross section analysis once the suspected short site has been determine, even for CAF……

I hope this helps……

Carl:

OK, that extra information helps to understand your subject line.

Thanks for the explanation.

*** Warning – thinly veiled commercial promotion below ***

I have a handheld FLIR camera that I use for other troubleshooting, but I don’t use it for thermally finding shorts on populated PC boards.  I worry about my short circuit test currents suddenly turning into test voltages that might damage components if the short suddenly goes open.  Before the FLIR camera, I also used quick-freeze frost-melt patterns and nematic liquid crystal sheets in hopes of identifying shorts.  Those methods often work for hairline shorts but would fail when the short-blob was larger than the smallest conductors of the path.  The Toneohm often worked where the conductors were accessible, but not on inner layers.  My go-to device for short locating has been the ShortSniffer, but I must admit that I’m prejudiced, since it is my design.  I’ve used it for hairline shorts as high as 500 Ohms, and also for ground-plane shorts.  If you short-finding needs are not adequately covered by your current tools, check out the ShortSniffer website at http://www.shortsniffer.com/.

Later,

Carl

Carl B. Van Wormer, P.E., AE7GD

Senior Hardware Engineer