TECHNET Archives

May 2018

From:
Jose A Rios <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Jose A Rios <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2018 13:57:27 +0000
IPC 4552A outlines requirements for ENIG deposits (in IPC lingo, guidelines are guidance and not requirements). Within some of the items covered in the spec, some attributes are ‘if specified’, meaning that if the procurement documentation calls it out explicitly, then its required, and shall be performed as described in 4552A. An example of this can be found in section 3.6.1 where the paragraph starts out with the words “When specified….”. If the drawing says "ENIG per 4552A" only, it does not trigger 3.6.1, unless theres an additional standalone callout for 3.6.1 as well. This spec has evolved into one that comprehensively evaluates the deposit during lot conformance, and has further transitioned to where the statistical term in the Au thickness evaluations per Table 3-1 is prominently outlined; if all your thickness readings are at or just above the minimum, it may not meet the thickness requirements of 4552A because of the statistical term. The ENEPIG spec similarly applies statistical terms to deposit thickness evaluations.

But as Richard says, its perfectly alright to tailor the requirements to fit your own application, especially if you’ve developed your own acceptance requirements based on historical performance.

José (Joey) Ríos, Sr QA Engineer

Mission Assurance Manager

Kavli Institute for Astrophysics & Space Research

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

(617)324-6272