TECHNET Archives

May 2018

From:
"Stadem, Richard D" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stadem, Richard D
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2018 20:06:03 +0000
If the caps are very rectangular, by that I mean they do not have rounded shoulders on the endcaps, you might try purposely placing them at a slight angle, perhaps 30 degrees from the long axis. The shield may be causing a thermal imbalance through the board between the pads of caps in certain locations. Purposely placing the caps at a slight angle requires the molten solder to first straighten a rectangular part out in order to pull either end up. This slight delay is sometimes enough to allow enough solder to melt on both pads and thus prevent the tombstoning.

Look at it this way; it is much easier to pull up the end or side of a large rectangular bed than it is to pull up any corner.

If the corners of the caps have rounded corners, then this may not help at all, but it is worth trying. In fact, the rounded corners on the caps are often precisely why the caps tombstone and not the flatter chip resistors of the same size which tend to have sharper corners.

 I have had this little trick work for me many times. It does not require a huge pick/place program change, most techs can make this simple change in just a few minutes if you just want to try it on a couple of boards.