TECHNET Archives

May 2018

From:
Steve Golemme <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Golemme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2018 15:11:46 -0700
Peter:

The answer is "it depends" (insert eyeroll here)

I worked at one place where we could use any cheap scanner through our
conformal coating.

Success depends on:
The size of the smallest scannable barcode feature
The thickness of the coating. (thicker is worse)
Reflectivitiy of the coating and ambient light.

If you're using a thin coat of Humiseal 1B73 and use a code 128 with 10 mil
min feature size, you should be able to scan it with just about anything.
I've worked on some designs where the 1B73 spec was 2mm thick. With thicker
coatings and a dense 3 mil DataMatrix code, you'll have serious challenges
getting anything reasonably priced to scan it.

If it's a thick coating, your best bet is to mask it or move to RFID.

Another option to explore, I haven't used them yet, but Microscan (
http://www.microscan.com) has some interesting high-res scanners.

A quick way to see if it's your scanner or your barcode is to download a
barcode scanner app on your phone. There are plenty of free ones out there.

Best,

Stephen Golemme
Manufacturing Engineer
650-214-5647