DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

May 2018

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Fred Dark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2018 14:34:06 +0000
Thanks Jeff, understood...

-----Original Message-----

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2018 8:47 PM

To: [log in to unmask]; Fred Dark

Subject: RE: [DC] Expedition users..?

Fred,

About 2-3 years ago I switched from PADS Standard to xPCB (what they call Expedition now).  I resisted it for years with the thinking that it was more tool than I really needed and would require a lot more overhead.  But as part of a corporate consolidation I relented.

Well 3 years down the line and I'm glad that I switched and would do it all over again.  While it takes some time getting used to the tool (which is the case with any), the number of things that it can do just automatically that I had to manually do with PADS is a huge time saver.  On a complicated board I can save several days with the tool.

It's very strong on the HDI side, Length matching, tuning, and very good for interactive routing.  In general the DRC checker is better and often when I send out boards I get few to no issues from the vendors.  CES (Constraints system) is pretty decent and is easily set up.

On the documentation side (e.g. fab/assy drawings) go with BlueprintPCB, fablink just doesn't cut it and I don't know many that use it.

In short, if you're moving into boards with HDI, tuning, length matching, dense designs, and want a good interactive router  I find it's a good tool.  I do recommend doing the mentor xPCB training though on using it, that'll shorten your down time and greatly reduce the stress level and they're pretty good at showing best practice.

I hope this helps.

Best,

-Jeffrey

Jeffrey A. Jenkins