TECHNET Archives

April 2018

From:
Riccardo Inverardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Riccardo Inverardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2018 11:24:44 +0200
Greetings to all TechNetters, I am facing a problem and I hope that the
great experience of the forum can help me.

I have to provide our AOI operators with an adequate magnification and
illumination aid to inspect those features that a 2D AOI cannot reliably
inspect and/or to discriminate false calls from real defects.

We have evaluated different magnification aids: from digital magnifiers, to
binocular microscopes. The absolutely best option is a stereo microscope
such as Vision Engineering's Mantis line: depth perception is maintained and
once the focus has been set, it's easy to switch from focusing on the PC
screen and inspecting the board.

Disadvantages are high cost, but the worst is that they are cumbersome.

On the other hand, tabletop magnifiers are cheap, have good illumination and
they are really handy. It's a pity that they usually are too cheap and most
of all, it seems that no one makes them with adequate magnifying power.

Currently, our operators have to work ideally in a 1.5 square meters' area
(actually, they are not trapped in: it's just a "designated area").

Any suggestion, past experience and lessons learned that you can share will
be highly appreciated.

Have a nice day,

Riccardo Inverardi
AOI Programmer | IPC/J-STD-001 + IPC-A-610 Certified IPC Trainer

 <http://www.inteaengineering.it/> INTEA ENGINEERING
via Chiusure 20 Sale Marasino (BS)
T +39 030 9824406 | F +39 030 9824407