TECHNET Archives

April 2018

From:
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2018 13:04:12 -0400
Wayne,
baking at  above 65C in vacuum  chamber does make difference based on
my experience.  absorption and desorption process take place as long
as it has sufficient energy (assume required bake is not strongly
bonded - reacted moisture, like corrosion product for extreme
example).  You might want to put moisture indicator in the chamber
with and without vacuum to see if it make any difference (assume you
do have a good vacuum chamber).  Or you can do TGA figure out where
is the desorption take place of your specimen (use 90% RH/65 C to
saturated 1st and ramp down to room temp slowly to prepare your
specimen for example).  IMHO.
baking above 105 C is great with or without vacuum, but many device
can't go that high (or packaging material... for example, laser
alignment might slightly off, if it not designed to operated at high
temp).  low temp baking, a good vacuum helps the process in my
experiences (long ago.. don't ask me for data or publication... ).
jk