TECHNET Archives

March 2018

From:
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2018 14:36:48 -0400
besides ITRS outlined roadmap pin  counts (which all industry tend to
bench mark and try to keep in line), there is a diminish of return
when you goes to too high pin counts - not only causes layout
problem, but also production yield issues - e.g. >1000 interconnect
better  have very flat on both components and PWB... you might need
to go for LGA instead of BGA... as for prototype, those components
are killers to testing initial functionality of the system (too
complex).  rather than block set of components instead - that is why
initial customer chip is SPGA, until the funcationality are defined
to set into ASIC to speed things up and save the real estate... (more
integrate on chip the better - anything walk off chip is a problem...
impedance, fan out, etc.etc.  you want as  simple  as  possible - as
lower pin count  as possibly, not more... IMHO...  if  you give
designer max  pin count can be achieved for I/O, I bet he/she will
used to max +10%...  leave you little or no room but many headache to
try to layout on PWB... )... By the way, you didn't  say what PWB
tech you intende to use - 4/4? or 3/3? without knowing that, it is
missing half of the selection criteria... IMHO.  One more thing,
assume you have deep pocket - e.g. you can custom make high density
ACF if you have enough volume or intend to use next gen pin count
outlined in  ITRS...  (although ITRS is no longer publish roadmap, I
believe it old version still cover next few years).
my 1.4 cents.
jk