TECHNET Archives

March 2018

From:
Robert Kondner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2018 17:34:34 -0400
Hi,

When used in Denver Colorado the air pressure at 1 mile high was a big issue. They almost refused to sell it. Not all pastes would work, we use a no clean.

Using gerber files as the paste source can be a big problem, the CAD software was really designed to be fed with CAD data. Knowing the package type  and PCB PAD pattern is what they want. Gerber silk screen files are not very smart. When you get a paste gerber that already has window pained thermal pads it becomes an issue. I wrote code that took BOMs and package models and generated GenCAD files from the paste gerber. For the windowed thermal I had to create "Fake Pins" (and this was long before fake news) and for some paste openings I had to generate "Fake Parts" as well.

 What Mycronics expects gerber file users to do is manually select sets of paste openings to define the parts. Kind of tedious if you ask me. Takes 1/2 to 3/4 hours per medium board. Their sales folks will wave a magic hand and tell you it only takes a few minutes. If you look at real  paste gerbers there is often a lot of weird stuff.

The My600, at the lower levels, only prints rectangles and circles. Anything weird like an SOT-89 center pad can get complicated. And then you have shield cans that need paste, the list of exceptions builds.

As for quality of the paste image it is super good. The first time I saw the output my jaw dropped to the floor. My customer then bought a second and another customer go one.

Perfect No. Really Good Yes. Also expensive but my one customer saved almost $1K a day on stencils.

Bob K.