TECHNET Archives

March 2018

From:
Mumtaz Bora <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Mumtaz Bora <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2018 16:25:35 +0000
Dear All, We have a 5x5mm  LGA package that failed  solderability test for "Dip and Look" as well as "Surface Mount Reflow Simulation test". The LGA package has a flip chip die on a thin PCB substrate. The termination plating is NiPdAu.  Black Pad issue appears to be suspect, but we have not verified  this . Our FA Lab does not have the ability to etch Pd/Au  to expose theNickel.is there another wary to verify the Nickel surface for black pad formation.  I will request Steve Gregory to attach some images on his website. We are seeing dents(probe marks)  and grainy structure on the plating. The X-section shows a separation between mounting epoxy and  plated surface.  Any insight will be appreciated.

Dip and Look test

[cid:[log in to unmask]]              [cid:[log in to unmask]]      [cid:[log in to unmask]]

Surface Mount simulation Test

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

Thank-you,
Mumtaz
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.