TECHNET Archives

March 2018

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2018 08:24:09 -0800
Caitlen,
It is the general consensus of the IPC coating committees that coating the
board edges is not a value added item in most cases.  My company treats it
as a "don't care" condition.  If there is coating there as an artifact of a
spray coating process, that is OK, unless the board edge is being used
specifically for heat conduction.  In that case, the board edge is treated
as a required keep out zone and marked as such on the drawing.

Unless you have a good technical reason to either coat or not coat the
board edge, I suggest treating it as a "don't care".

Doug Pauls
Principal Materials and Process Engineer
Rockwell Collins