TECHNET Archives

March 2018

From:
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2018 09:18:51 -0500
Victor,
not sure what others do, but in good old days, for new material/
process that required for new platform of technology (low CTE
laminate, ultra high density, etc.etc.), I would look at the existing
qual matrix (assume you have that in house), with additional
requirements that either draw from test method, or just dream out of
own to cover the new requirements, that including electrical testing
if the density is high (high temp, damp condition, what ever)... of
cause, with vendor's input (work together)... usually the vendor will
love to be involved in such project, knowing they are in the
potential leading edge that may benefit future products... you
basically 2-3 years ahead of next gen std... you can submit the data
when you sort the things out or keep it in house with vendor NDA
(better, treat as trade secrete if no benefit to get a second
vendor)... if you have new technology, normally the current existing
std will not be sufficient... you pick and choose to make sure it
covers all your needs.  (you keep eyes on ITRS- used to be, roadmap
for semi, and make sure you cover the interconnect that can match the
required I/O, voltage, to walk off the chip with bottleneck not in
the PWB/module for the design... split multi-voltage ground for
example if you have digital analog mixed design... large ground may
impact your laminate adhesion, warpage, etc.etc.. surface ground
might be better if also used as heatsink... it might be better to
have two PWA if speed is not a concern, etc.etc. you talk about it
with the design and see what they would like to do... real teamwork)
IMHO.  this was this dinosaur would do... (you might be able to get
away with many of those stuff with computer simulation nowadays...
but this dinosaur didn't believe virtue world very much - especially,
knowing you can set boundary condition for FEM as you wish.., just
like not into the crypto currency... ).
good luck.
jk