TECHNET Archives

February 2018

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2018 15:50:46 -0600
Here is the Element Quiz Question (hint: read the clues very carefully this
week):

The Question:
This element's primary commercial use is in the automobile industry. It
also finds use in the optics industry due to its high reflectance
characteristics. It is insoluble in nitric acid dissolves slightly in aqua
regia. The primary source of this element is the countries of South Africa
and Russia. This element is one of the rarest elements in the Earth's
crust, comprising an estimated 0.0002 parts per million. This element does
not normally form an oxide, even when heated as oxygen is absorbed from the
atmosphere only at the melting point. Which element is being described?

The Answer:
The element is Rhodium (Rh)! After the discovery of rhodium, it had minor
commercial uses, mostly as  rhodium-containing thermocouples used to
measure temperatures up to 1800 °C and highly reflective optical
applications. However, the introduction of the three-way catalytic
converter by Volvo in 1976 increased the demand for rhodium. The previous
catalytic converters used platinum or palladium, while the three-way
catalytic converter used rhodium to reduce the amount of NOx in the exhaust.

The winner of the quiz is Russell Kido, Practical Components and he will
get the services of Clumpy and Kloumpios for the week.

So far Clumpy and Kloumpios have done the following:

Past Quiz winners/tasks:
Week 1 Ravinder Ajmani, Western Digital
Week 1 Ron Feyereisen, SigmaTron Intl.
Week 2 Louis Hart, Compunetics
Week 3 Mark Kostinovsky, Schlumberger Ltd.
Week 3 John Burke
Week 4 Drew Meyer, Benchmark Electronics
Week 5 No Winner - no correct responses!
Week 6 Bhanu Sood, NASA
Week 7 Keith Calhoun, Sopark Corp
Week 7 Ian Fox, Rolls Royce
Week 8 Leland Woodall
Week 8 David Bealer, SMT
Week 9 Tom Carroll, Boeing
Week 10 Louis Hart, Compunetics
Week 11 Tom Carroll, Boeing
Week 11 Scott Decker, UTAS
Week 12 Matthias Mansfeld, Mansfeld Elektronik PCB Design and Assembly
Week 13 No Quiz,
Week 14 Matthias Mansfeld, Mansfeld Elektronik PCB Design and Assembly
Week 15 Bhanu Sood, NASA
Week 16 John Maxwell
Week 17 Leland Woodall
Week 18 Leland Woodall
Week 19 Tom Carroll, Boeing
Week 20 Robert Kondner
Week 21 Tom Brendlinger, ClearMotion Inc.
Week 22 Carl Van Wormer, Cipher Engineering LCC
Week 23 Juliano Ribeiro, DATACOM
Week 24 Gerry Gagnon, FLIR Commercial Systems
Week 25 Graham Collins, Sunsel Systems
Week 26 Joyce Koo, IPC International
Week 26 Todd MacFadden, Bose
Week 27 Bhanu Sood, NASA
Week 28 Leland Woodall
Week 29 Mordechai Kirshenbaum
Week 30 Leland Woodall
Week 31 Leland Woodall
Week 32 Steve Gregory
Week 33 Leland Woodall
Week 34 Jerry Dengler, Pergamon Corp
Week 35 Frank Kimmey, VeriFone Inc
Week 36 Graham Collins, Sunsel Systems
Week 37 Richard "Dean" Stadem
Week 38 Leland Woodall
Week 38 Tom Carroll
Week 39 Matthias Mansfeld, Mansfeld Elektronik PCB Design and Assembly
Week 40 Leland Woodall
Week 41 Tom Carroll
Week 42 Matthias Mansfeld, Mansfeld Elektronik PCB Design and Assembly
Week 43 Joyce Koo
Week 44 Russell Kido, Practical Components
Week 45 Leland Woodall
Week 45 Frank Kimmey, VeriFone Inc
Week 46 Ian Fox, Rolls-Royce Control Systems
Week 47 Fred Cox, Bluering Stencils

Week 48 Tom Carroll, Boeing
- The boys will help with an early spring cleaning of the house. I'm
getting to old to bend and clean all the molding and radiators around ‎the
floors. I figure the boys are short enough to easily reach and clean these
surfaces. After they are done with that they can help me approve some
Corrective Action Responses from some suppliers and then help make nachos
and salsa for the Pro Bowl this weekend.

Week 49 Todd MacFadden, Bose
- Leland, do you mind if I take them the first half of the week? I could
use some help finalizing a test vehicle for a stacked microvia reliability
evaluation, and I anticipate I may be a little groggy Monday from all the
celebrating we'll be doing after the Super Bowl victory Sunday.

Week 49 Leland Woodall
- That'll work, Todd.  When the boys get here during the second half, I'm
going to have them to assist with making my APEX travel arrangements.
After that, they're free to roam, and perhaps they can run down to the
coast and bring me back some fresh sea trout!

Week 50 Russell Kido, Practical Components
- assisted with ????

I hope everyone has a awesome week.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins