TECHNET Archives

January 2018

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2018 14:47:06 +0000

		Insufficient tin strip in the via holes leading to poisoning of the nickel process leading to PIG over copper ??

		Sent from my iPad Pro

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 6:35 AM -0800, "Stadem, Richard D" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Totally agree with both Dave and George also.
ALL surface finishes have their preferred applications and warts, but NONE work very well if the fabricator or plater does not know how to do it successfully.
And therein lies the real issue; there are too many cheapo, fly-by-night fabricators popping up everywhere who do not have a clue as to how to fabricate acceptable-quality PWBs, I mean absolutely none whatsoever, and too many buyers taking a "chance" in order to tell their boss how much money they "saved".

The IPC recognized this issue a long time ago, and they have excellent tools in place for ensuring a PWB fabricator can fabricate and plate successfully. One is the PWB Survey form, another is the Audit procedures and forms, a third is IPC Certification for PWB fabricators. If you have to go to a new board fabricator, I would not even think about NOT performing a full qualification including these IPC audit and validation procedures, and I would not even entertain the possibility of using a PWB fabricator that cannot show me their IPC Certification, along with their AS9100C and ISO 9001 Certifications as well. If they don't have all three, and are not willing to provide you with a small batch for approval for free minus any tooling costs, I would immediately say goodbye, as major issues with that supplier are almost a certainty.
dean