TECHNET Archives

January 2018

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2018 10:02:49 -0500
So, is poor solderability like the flu . . .
We are having a rash of it.
We identified the EPENIG solder problem as a surface contaminate,
originating at the board house in the final rinse water.
We did not get to the bottom of the ENIG problem which I am thinking we
own.
Here is why.
The "black pads" may be found on either the board or the device. I have
attached a photo of each, one on the board and one on the device package.

These are soldered with a WS Pb-free flux. We have carefully developed the
profile with  a long soak, to minimize the void problems on LGA. Ramp,
soak, and reflow are all within recommendations of the solder paste
manufacturer.

Steve can you put these up for me. The problem does seem to be more common
on the DDR3 memory devices than any of the other BGA types.