TECHNET Archives

January 2018

From:
rkondner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, rkondner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2018 17:31:36 -0500
A larger via is not always best, a number of smaller vias is always
better. Make them as small as possible and still get internal plating.

You can fill vias with solder but solder is much less conductive. I
recall that a 40 mil via is the point where the filled solder will have
the same resistance as the wall. I recall that being .062 material with
1/2 oz copper. You can calculate it yourself. The solder cross section
increases with the square of the diameter, copper wall in the via is
proportional.

Heat is similar in concept, look at what power LED folks suggest. A
bunch of small vias gave me 1C/W on a DPAK, they were very effective but
that was heat.

Bob K.