TECHNET Archives

January 2018

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2018 12:47:05 -0800
You simply take the length the via is carrying the current and divide that
by the circumference (pi * d). For power designs, you should insist on a
full ounce on the via wall. One ounce copper film is 0.7 milliohms/square,
so you just take the calc above and multiply by 0.7 and now you have the
resistance of a single via. Multiply that by the current to get voltage
drop. If the voltage drop is too high, the via will get warm and someone
will complain about your lousy power distribution system. So add vias, or
make bigger vias until you're sure that won't happen!

Wayne Thayer