TECHNET Archives

January 2018

From:
Robert Kondner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2018 15:04:40 -0500
Bob

 Let's break down rework into two phases, removal and replacement. Removal is easy with a simple hot plate and hot air gun. Only a little experience is required.

Replacement takes more skill. The hard parts are QFNs. Getting a good even amount of paste or solder on the pads (or on the leads) is difficult. After that reflow on the hot plate with hot air gun is simple. The best little hot air gun I have seen is the Weller 6966, a gotta have in my book.

We bought a Manncorp RW1210 for about $15K about a year ago. Folks don’t use it much as it is more complicated than the hot plate and air gun but the RW1210 is a nice machine. It is great especially with doing the same part on a bunch of boards. It also helps with getting parts down where you want them.

The other rework tool I live by is the a Hakko 807 type tool. I find the pencil type tool easier to handle than a gun type.

Much of rework tool selection is based on experience. At 62 I have had a fair amount of experience but I have not played with all the new tools.

Bob K.