TECHNET Archives

December 2017

From:
James Head <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, James Head <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2017 22:29:15 +0000
Yes, some contract assemblers (I know of at least two) can do automated
checks on the supplied data. They take the assembly gerber
drawing/silkscreen gerber drawing, BOM and centroid data and they can
"check" certain things such as whether the footprint is suitable for the
part number specified in the BOM and centroid data, and whether it's a
polarised component so is there something that looks like a marker near by,
and to some extent the rotation but this check is "fuzzy".
The assemblers I know that do this have built up a database themselves of
part numbers, correct footprint, and relevant information, largly from
supplied customer data. It is not foolproof though, and should be a
guideline only for possible problems.
Their marketing claims for these checks are written with a lot of
"marketing speak" and push the boundaries of reality a little!
Regards,
James

James Head BEng MIET CID+

James Head PCB Design and Engineering
11 Charmind Walk,Winterbourne Road, SWINDON, SN25 1QA
Telephone: 01793 266237
Mobile: 07870 945579
Skype: headjames
E-mail: [log in to unmask]