TECHNET Archives

December 2017

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2017 12:39:38 -0600
Good morning Jack.  CC-830 is more of a materials document, not a process
document.  So it has nothing to do with keep out zones or overspray zones.
J-STD-001 does not really cover how to apply coating, only what the coating
must do.  There really is no document that answers the question that you
pose Jack.  One of the coating committees did create a white paper "What
coating people wish designers knew" last year.  It was published as an IPC
white paper, though I don't have the reference handy.  As I recall, we did
not really address the issues of keepout zones and what they should be.

The amount of overspray zone really depends on what technology you are
using to apply the coating.  Some technologies, like jet printing, can give
you a very defined perimeter around a keepout zone.  Different kinds of
spray have differing levels of how much overspray to expect.  So the answer
is "it depends".  It is best for you the designer to determine where the
presence of conformal coating interferes with the form fit or function of
the assembly.  Then we in manufacturing work to keep it out of that area.
From a manufacturer's perspective, I would say the answer is "as much as
you can give me".  You might go as far as to define "no coating here",
"coating optional in this zone (don't care)" and "coating here".  Allows us
some flexibility.

Oh, and staking compound means adhesive.  When we are gluing down big ass
components to the boards.

Doug Pauls
Principal Materials and Process Engineer
Rockwell Collins