TECHNET Archives

December 2017

From:
"Stadem, Richard D" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stadem, Richard D
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2017 15:52:58 +0000
In the past I had to qualify MEMS for a production line, to ensure no shock or vibration was seen that could possibly hurt the components. These were found to be very susceptible to failure.
I used an amplified accelerometer to measure the shock and vibration from the manufacturer, on the truck or plane, and through the processes.
We discovered that irregular shock and short vibration exposure did little to harm the MEMS.
What did kill the micromechanical parts was resonant vibration, and we also discovered that certain MEMS were susceptible to their own particular steady-state vibration frequencies and multiples of those frequencies.
Where did these show up?
ONLY IN THE WATER WASH PROCESS!
Weird, eh?
Had nothing to do with moisture ingression to the package itself. The transmitter worked even underwater, and the machine's large pump motors caused a huge cavitation effect when transmitted through the water. The spray sometimes killed the MEMS also, but mostly it is cavitation while fully immersed.