TECHNET Archives

November 2017

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2017 11:11:42 -0500
Hi Ed - based on the details you provided, here is what I believe is
happening - Many of the OA type fluxes contain a significant chlorine
content and also consider you have a potential fluorine contribution from
the flux interacting with the PTFE insulation. Copper loves to react with
both Cl and F with the reaction producing a corrosion product that has a
characteristic blue/green optical appearance. The corrosion product can be
identified by its unique crystal structure using XRD techniques. It appears
you are dealing with a case of poor cleaning as there is flux being trapped
under the insulation and it is causing a corrosion reaction. One method of
avoiding this issue is to carefully apply the flux to the stripped wire in
such a manner as the flux does not contact the wired/non-stripped
insulation interface. The best way to clean this is to not allow it to
happen during the initial processing - trying to get that interface clean
is difficult and hard to confirm "clean".

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins