TECHNET Archives

November 2017

From:
Ioan Tempea <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ioan Tempea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2017 20:39:31 +0000
Hi Bev,

Keeping solder under load (other than compressive) is not a good idea due to creep. Cannot cite papers, but this is explained in Klein Wassink's "Soldering in Electronics". Per this book:

"for eutectic SNPb solder at 20 C, the time to failure for various stresses is approximately

10 N/mm square - 10 hours

4 N/mm square - 1000 hours

2 N/mm square - 100000 hours"

I guess a web search for "solder creep" will return something.

Best regards,

Ioan