TECHNET Archives

November 2017

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2017 14:32:46 -0600
Hi Bev - I would point them to RJ Klein Wassink's book "Soldering In
Electronics", ISBN 0-901150-24. In the Mechanical Properties Section 8.4 it
states "From the data in section 4.7.2 it is obvious that a normal soldered
connection on a printed board is not well suited to withstanding a
permanent mechanical load."

And in Section 4.7.2 Creep, there is some good data on the creep properties
of solder backing up that statement.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins